What is Adoption Finalization Mean in the State of Oklahoma?
You have decided to place your baby for adoption. You want to make an adoption plan with an adoption agency in Oklahoma. Now what? There might be many reasons you need to put your child up for adoption. There could be financial or personal reasons. It just might be that raising a child might not be in the cards right now. Whatever the reason, contacting an Oklahoma adoption agency might be the right decision for you.
What is the Adoption Process?
First, you will choose what you want your adoption to look like. There is no right or wrong way for your adoption plan, only what is suitable for you and your baby. Choosing an agency, you feel comfortable with is a big decision. Do your research, and do not be afraid to ask questions.
Your next decision will include what type of adoption you would like. There are usually three main types of adoption.
- Open: this means that you will have contact and even visit the adoptive family and your baby.
- Semi-Open: which includes contact but would be a little less than an Open adoption. You may get letters and pictures of your baby.
- Closed: This is the most restrictive, where you will have no contact with the family and your adoptive family.
After deciding on the type of adoption you are looking for, there are other questions you may want to consider in your adoption plan.
- What upbringing would you like your child to have?
- Is religious background vital to you?
- Do you prefer them to be in the same state as you?
- What morals or standards do you want in an adoptive family?
Your adoption agency will then bring you prospective adoptive families that best fit your requirements. You will be able to look through them and decide which one is right for your baby. There are many caring families that are willing to love your baby.
It might seem not very clear at first, but our adoption representatives are willing to help you through the process.
What is Adoption Finalization?
The legal finalization of your adoption process means that custody is legally transferred to the adoptive family. Again, your adoption specialist and attorneys will assist you during these steps. This will allow you to feel comfortable with legalities and the process itself. While finalization can look different between counties and states, the steps look relatively similar.
- You and the adoptive family will appear in court and be sworn in so the legal process can begin. The adoption attorney and an adoption representative will be with you as well.
- The judge will review the documents and look at the process so far. After reviewing the adoption process, the judge may ask questions about the adoptive family. Those questions would pertain to the reasons for the adoptive family wanting to adopt and their intentions.
- When the judge’s questions have been satisfied and know the family is there to care for your child, the adoption decree will be signed by both parties.
You will now continue with whichever type of adoption that you have chosen.
How to Cope With Adoption Finalization
It can feel scary and intimidating for birth parents to go to court. However, your adoption specialist is there to counsel you and help you through this time. Do not feel this is the end of the support. Your adoption agency will be there and continue to communicate with you. You will be supplied with whatever you may need after this process is over. Do not be afraid to express your feelings to your adoption specialist. They are there to guide you and support you.
Adoption can be an emotional rollercoaster for all involved. An adoption agency can be there to provide answers to questions for a birth parent and the adoptive family. It is critical that you feel comfortable throughout the adoption process. Remember that it is okay to feel scared. An adoption specialist can help you relieve those fears.
If you are an expectant parent of an unplanned pregnancy, adoption might be the right fit for you. Feel free to reach out to one of our adoption representatives at Adoption Choices of Oklahoma. You can email us, call, or text. We would love to talk to you about your options and help you in your adoption process.
Adoption and Surrogacy Choices of Oklahoma is a surrogacy and adoption agency, licensed by the state of Oklahoma and a leader in the community. We assist both intended parents and gestational carriers (surrogates). Our staff members are committed to providing an ethical, empowering, and personalized experience to all involved in the surrogacy process.
Toll-free: 800-898-6028 | OKC Local: 405-755-1999 | Tulsa Local: 918-447-7777 | Text: 405-201-6643 | Email