Adoption Resources for Birth Mothers in Oklahoma
By Shannon Reilly
If you are pregnant and considering adoption in Oklahoma, Adoption Choices of Oklahoma may be the right choice for you. Here at Adoption Choices of Oklahoma, we have a team of professionals ready to help you with your decision regarding your unplanned pregnancy. There are three options you have when considering your pregnancy. You may decide to parent the child, terminate the pregnancy, or give a baby up for adoption in Oklahoma. Not only will our team help guide you in whichever direction you may choose, but we offer many adoption resources for birth mothers during your pregnancy and after the birth and finalization of an adoption. Below you will find more information on our adoption process and the resources we offer here at Adoption Choices of Oklahoma.
Putting a child up for adoption in Oklahoma
The first step in the adoption process for an Oklahoma adoption is contacting us and setting up an appointment to meet with your assigned birth parent counselor. There is no need to worry about coming into our office. The birth parent counselor will come to you. During this initial meeting, you will discuss things such as what type of resources and assistance you may need throughout and for a while after the pregnancy and what type of adoption you would like to move forward with. There are essentially three types of adoption: open adoption, semi-open adoption, and closed adoption.
- Open Adoption is where you have direct contact with the adoptive parents you choose, whether in person or over the phone. This goes for during the pregnancy and after the adoption finalization. There is also personal information shared between both parties. The level of direct contact after the child’s birth is something that will be discussed and set before the finalization of the adoption.
- Semi-open adoption is where there is some contact during your pregnancy but none after the birth and finalization of adoption. You still have the choice of choosing the adoptive parents in this scenario.
- Closed adoption is when you have no contact or information about the adoptive parents that may raise your child. You do not have a choice in the adoptive family in this case.
Adoption Resource For Birth Mothers
After deciding what type of adoption best suits your needs, you will decide on an adoptive family if that is an option in your case. Once you have decided on a family, this is when the resources will become available. Your birth parent counselor will be there for you to get your needed assistance approved. Your birth parent counselor will handle the type of resources that are available and that are listed below. These resources are available for up to eight weeks after the adoption is finalized. Counseling is specifically available for up to six months after the birth and adoption finalization.
- Transportation for pregnancy-related subjects such as doctors appointments
- Safe housing
- Financial assistance for things such as clothing, food, bills, etc.
- Emotional support such as counseling during and after the birth and finalization of an adoption
The last step is to wait for the birth and finalize the adoption. Your birth parent counselor will create a hospital plan with you and will be there for support during your delivery. They will also be the ones to take you to court to finalize the adoption by legally giving up your parental rights.
Contact Adoption Choices of Oklahoma Today!
Here at Adoption Choices of Oklahoma, our team has your best interest in mind no matter what you decide. We will be there every step of the way! Through this difficult process and help in any way we can during your pregnancy and any time after the birth. We understand the impact an unplanned pregnancy can have on a woman. That is why we are here to help guide you with whatever you may choose. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with questions.
Adoption Choices of Oklahoma is a private adoption agency, licensed by the state of Oklahoma and leader in the adoption community. We have been assisting birth parents, children, and adoptive families in Oklahoma for over 19 years. If you are currently in the process of adopting a baby and have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us. Toll-free: 800-898-6028 | OKC Local: 405-755-1999 | Tulsa Local: 918-447-7777 | Text: 405-201-6643 | Email