LGBTQ+ Adoptions in Oklahoma: Weighing the Pros and Cons of Choosing the Right Adoptive Parents
By Katy Reagan
In a traditional idea of adoption, you may imagine passing custody of your baby onto a woman and a man who has been waiting to adopt and raise a baby of their own. Of course, this is common, but there is not only one kind of family that can adopt your baby. Single parents can adopt, and LGBTQ+ couples can adopt!
It is important to know that adoptions don’t only need to be with a man and a woman. Since the legalization of gay marriage in 2015, more LGBTQ+ couples are starting families than ever before. You can help an LGBTQ+ couple have the family they’ve always wanted!
There are many benefits to an LGBTQ+ adoption or same-sex adoption. Our Tulsa adoption agencies near you don’t discriminate and welcome LGBTQ+ adoption.
Pros Of an LGBTQ+ Adoption in Oklahoma
Putting a child up for adoption can be a nerve-wracking process since you want to make sure you find the perfect family for your baby. You are bringing this baby into the world, so of course, you only want the best for them. Placing your baby with an LGBTQ+ couple can be a great option. Here are a few reasons why:
- An LGBTQ+ couple, whether it is a man and man or woman and woman, likely have difficulty having a baby of their own. They may love each other and dream of raising a child but simply don’t have the biology to conceive their own baby. This way, you are fulfilling their dreams and allowing them to raise a child and have the family they deserve. They are just as capable of being parents as any other couple.
- For many heterosexual couples, conceiving a child may naturally happen and may come as a surprise. For a homosexual couple, this is not possible; therefore, becoming a parent is a conscious choice for them. You know that the LGBTQ+ couple you choose has thought about it, is highly invested, and is prepared to be involved.
- When choosing a same-sex adoption, you also know that your child will grow up in an accepting, open-minded household. Your baby will be raised in a household that is already different from a conventional one. Therefore, the adoptive parents will lead by example, and your baby will grow up learning to be mature and accepting. In an LGBTQ+ household, traditional gender roles will also not be imposed on your baby. This may be the exact kind of open-minded household you would want your baby to grow up in.
Difficulties That May Come With an LGBTQ+ Adoption, And How We Can Help
You may be considering a same-sex Oklahoma City adoption, but be concerned about the possible downsides to an LGBTQ+ adoption. Of course, you want to provide a deserving couple with the baby they’ve always wanted, but you want to make sure it’s the right choice. There are some difficulties you may run into when searching for a same-sex couple to adopt your baby.
- It is an unfortunate fact that not all adoption agencies in Oklahoma support same-sex couples. Some adoption centers reserve the right to deny a couple the ability to adopt based on their sexual orientation. It is important to research if the agency you are working with supports the LGBTQ+ community. Adoption Choices of Oklahoma is proud to assure you that we do not discriminate and support same-sex couples in adopting.
- Of course, choosing a same-sex couple means that the baby will either not have a mom or not have a dad. You may want your baby to be raised in a household with both a father and a mother figure, and this is understandable. It is important to remember, however, that this does not mean a same-sex couple cannot work together to provide your baby with all the support they need growing up.
- Another unfortunate fact is that some people do not agree that an LGBTQ+ couple deserves to have a family just as much as a heterosexual couple does. A same-sex couple may face discrimination by those who do not support the LGBTQ+ community. This discrimination could affect your child as they grow up. They may face harassment from other closed-minded children, as well. This is another factor for you to consider.
How Can Our Agency Help?
It is ultimately up to you, the birth mother, to decide whether these factors will affect your decision in the adoption plan or not. Adoption Choices of Oklahoma, however, will support you in your decision to choose same-sex adoption if you do so.
We will show you all types of pre-screen and pre-approved adoptive families, including straight, single-parent, gay, and lesbian. When working with us, you have the ability to learn as much as you would like about the LGBTQ+ couples offered to decide if they are the right choice for you.
You Can Choose the Same-Sex Adoption With Adoption Choices of Oklahoma
You may be wondering, can I choose same-sex adoption at any of the adoption agencies near me? With us, you can! Adoption Choices of Oklahoma proudly supports LGBTQ+ adoption, and we are happy to help you find the perfect same-sex couple to adopt your baby.
If you are new to the adoption process and would like to inquire about more general information about completing an Oklahoma adoption, do not hesitate to contact us. We can help you start the adoption process while pregnant or if you are in labor and want to give the baby away at birth. No matter where you are in your pregnancy or where you are in the state of Oklahoma, we can come to help you. Contact us today to get started!