What Is the Surrogate Screening Process for Surrogacy in Oklahoma?
So, you want to become a surrogate. And you’re wondering how to become a surrogate in Oklahoma. Well, before you become a surrogate, you’ll go through a screening process. Anybody who pursues surrogacy in Oklahoma has to pass certain requirements. Luckily, it’s not as difficult as it may sound.
Any good surrogacy agency will lead you through all parts of the surrogacy process. And at Adoption & Surrogacy Choices of Oklahoma, that’s exactly what we do. It’s our mission to make your surrogacy journey as smooth, easy, and rewarding as possible. We want to make sure all our potential surrogates have the necessary information so that they know if Oklahoma surrogacy is a good fit for them.
Is Surrogacy Legal in Oklahoma?
Surrogacy is so rarely discussed that many people don’t even know if it’s legal in Oklahoma. Luckily, if you’re interested in surrogacy, gestational surrogacy is completely legal. However, it’s important that you work with a legitimate surrogacy agency and that you follow the screening process outlined in this article.
What Is the Surrogate Screening Process in Oklahoma?
Because surrogacy is such an involved process, we make sure to follow Oklahoma guidelines to screen all potential surrogates. If you’re thinking about becoming a surrogate yourself, it might be helpful to understand the steps you’ll take to get there.
While your screening process may not look exactly like this, or it may happen in a different order, here’s an overview of how we typically choose our surrogates:
- Fill Out an Oklahoma Surrogacy ApplicationThe first step to becoming a surrogate mother is filling out an application. You’ll let us know about some of your medical history, current lifestyle, and living situation. This process is simple, and you’ll know if you’re a viable candidate after we review your application.
- Undergo a Background CheckAll our surrogates must pass a criminal background check. We just want to make sure you’re a good fit for the organization, and we’ll cover the cost of the background check.
- Meet with a Counselor for a Mental Health EvaluationWhile there’s nothing wrong with mental health struggles, we want to ensure your safety during the surrogacy process. Mental health illnesses like depression and anxiety are often amplified by pregnancy, so you’ll meet with a counselor to make sure you’re in a healthy state of mind.
What Are the Surrogate Requirements for Surrogacy in Oklahoma?
- Be a U.S. citizen with a valid birth certificate
- Be between the ages of 21 and 39
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 31
- Have no new tattoos, piercings, or blood transfusions within the last twelve months
- Be free of any mental health issues like depression or bipolar disorder
- Can’t be reliant on drugs that are not prescribed
- Can’t be taking medication that may disrupt the pregnancy
- Have had at least one healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy
- Must not have smoked and lived in a non-smoking home for at least one year at the time of the application
- Can not be dependent on alcohol
- Must be physically healthy with no STDs
You may be wondering why we have surrogacy requirements in the first place. It may feel unnecessarily strict, but there are legitimate reasons we have these guidelines.
Pregnancy can be a high-risk experience, and we want to prevent that as much as possible. Most of our requirements are directly related to your health and the health of the baby you’ll be carrying. Although some of these guidelines may be frustrating, in the end, they’re in place for your safety.
How to Become a Surrogate in Oklahoma
Surrogacy is a great way to give back to your community if it’s a cause you’re passionate about. If you’re looking into surrogacy because you’re passionate about families, you care about someone who’s facing infertility, or even if you just enjoy being pregnant — we’re here to support you. If you pass the surrogacy requirements listed in this article, you’re already halfway to becoming a surrogate.
The first step is to reach out to a surrogacy agency in Oklahoma. You can contact Adoption & Surrogacy Choices of Oklahoma today if you’re interested in setting up a screening. We’re here to support you throughout your surrogacy journey. Also, feel free to check out our surrogacy blogs to learn more.
Adoption and Surrogacy Choices of Oklahoma is a surrogacy and adoption agency, licensed by the state of Oklahoma and leader in the community. We assist both intended parents and gestational carriers (surrogates). Our staff members are committed to providing an ethical, empowering, and personalized experience to all involved in the surrogacy process.
Toll-free: 800-898-6028 | OKC Local: 405-755-1999 | Tulsa Local: 918-447-7777 | Text: 405-310-8790 | Email
About the Author: Alexandra Georgiton is a fourth-year student at the University of Cincinnati studying Rhetoric and Professional Writing, and is receiving certification in Copyediting and Publishing. She has been passionate about the English language for her entire life, and reading and writing have always been her favorite hobbies. She enjoys professional writing and editing because she loves to use her talent and love of writing to make a difference in the world.